A Look at Listening




My boots scuffed across the gravely mud and into the barn.
"Scrrip. Scrrup. Scrrip. Scrrup.

I pulled the mounting block over and sat down to wait.
"Shhhhick. Fwump.

The rain came down at the perfect pace.
"Pitter patter pitter patter pitter patter."

The doors moved in the wind but one was looser than the other.
"Thunk. Thunk. Creeeaak. Thunk Thunk."

Three leaks slowly let drops of water fall to the floor.
"Drop drop drop dree-drip."
"Splat..............split splat."
"Plunk plink plunk plink."

The latch on the door occasionally joins in.
"Cluck clunk."

A goose.
"kooWAW! kooWAW!"

A bird.
"trrrrrriLLLL! trrrrrillllEEE!"

Another bird.
"Tweet twit tweet."

I hear my horse knock over the metal hay bin.
"Bwooh."

The wind picks up.
"hhhhhhhoaoa!"

The truck's engine starts.
"Grrrrrrumba rumba rumba rumba."

The truck pulls up to the barn on the muddy gravel.
"Crackle ping plunk thunk crickle crickle."

It is time to go.

Pitter patter. Thunk thunk. Creeeaak. Thunk thunk. Pitter patter. Drop drop dree-drip. Pitter patter. Cluck clunk. Pitter patter. kooWAW kooWAW! Pitter patter. trrrrriLLL! Tweet twit. Pitter patter. Hhhhoaoa!

The sound goes on.

2 comments:

Alone

  They judged me to be judgy As I sat there in silence drinking in the intriguing chatter  They judged me to be judgy As my face does not re...